This has to be one of my fave breakfasts ever. No joke. There is something so satisfying about combining two opposites: soft and crisp, hot and cold. I think texture and temperature are just as important when eating because, well hey, taste isnt the only sense right! The warm soft apples and crisp granola, surrounded in the ice cold milk just absolutely does the trick. The stewed apples alongside the oat-filled crumble, provide slow-release energy for the day with it being low GI, keeping you fuller for longer, ticking your fibre needs, upping your zinc intake and having cholesterol-lowering properties. To cut the long story short, its just the best breakfast ever. Or have i said that already?
Every sunday i like to evaluate whats coming up in my week – is it a busy one? Are there gonna be days when im gonna need an extra boost of energy, or maybe, dare i say, not have time for beloved breakfast?! 😮 Since not having breakfast is simply NOT an option, then i like to spend one hour on sunday in the kitchen with my music, preparing a big batch of this dish and then storing it in the refrigerator. Its a great thing to grab n go (matching this month’s theme) since you can just pack it in a tupperware overnight and in the morning, just grab it, with your milk carton, and off you go! You can even eat it raw, or with a dollop of yogurt if you dont have access to milk or a microwave. If you have the time to actually make this for breakfast on the day, and eat this fresh out of the oven, while still naturally hot, then that’s ideal, and thats what i did on sunday. I ended up having two bowls. I couldnt resist guys..!
Serving suggestion: Heat the apple granol-crumble and pour ice-cold coconut or almond milk around. Delish!
Ingredients (makes 4-6 servings)
- 3 medium sized apples (cored, peeled and chopped into chunks) * (see pic) / 3 μήλα μέτρια μεγέθους (ξεφλουδισμένες και κομμένες σε κομματάκια) * (δες φότο)
- 1tbsp lemon juice / 1κ.σ. χυμός λεμονιού
- 1.5tbsp light brown sugar / 1.5κ.σ. ελαφριά καστανή ζάχαρη
- 1tbsp cornflour / 1κ.σ. κόρν-φλάουρ
- 1.5tsp cinnamon & 0.5tsp all-spice / 1.5κ.γ. κανέλα & 0.5κ.γ all-spice
- 1tbsp raisins / 1κ.σ. σταφίδες
- salt / αλάτι
- 60gr butter dairy-free / 60γρ βούτυρο νηστίσιμο
- 3tbsp honey / 3κ.σ. μέλι
- 60gr Oat flour (Or All-Purpose Flour) / 60γρ Αλεύρι Βρώμης (ή αλεύρι για όλες της χρήσης)
- 90gr Quick-cook Oats / 90γρ βρώμης
- 3tbsp blanched slivered almonds / ασπρισμένα αμύγδαλα σε φέτες
- 1.5tbsp dried banana crisps, chopped roughly (optional) / 1.5k.σ. αποξηραμένη μπανάνα σε τσιπς
- 2tbsp shredded coconut / 2κ.σ. καρύδα τριμμένη
- 2-3tbsp mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin etc.) / 2-3κ.σ. μιξ σπόρους (π.σ. ηλιόσπορο, κολοκυθόσπορο κτλ.)
*I used two yellow apples and one green for this recipe – make sure you use at least 2 apples which are quite sweet (could be red, yellow or pale green), and one tart one just to balance out the flavours.
Directions (65 minutes)
- Heat oven to 200 degrees Celcius
- After you have peeled and roughly chopped your apples (see pic for size) put them in a medium sized oven dish (I used a 25cm diameter circular dish).
- Sprinkle the apples with the arrowroot powder or cornflour, cinnamon, allspice, raisins, lemon juice, sugar and a pinch of salt. Stir around so all the apple pieces are covered
- Add all your dry ingredients to one bowl (the flour you are using, the oats, the slivered almonds, the banana crisps, the shredded coconut and seeds)
- On a medium heat, in a saucepan melt the butter and the honey. Once melted pour over the dry ingredients and mix around so that they form rough clusters (it wont all be in clusters, some of it will be loose but dont worry)
- Place your granola/crumble mix on top of the apples which are in the oven dish
- Put in the oven for a total of 40 minutes. After 10 minutes, you will see that the top granola will have browned. So mix this around so that the non-browned pieces of granola come to the top. Do this again at the 20 minute and 30 minute point. At the 30 minute point if some granola clusters have browned alot (i.e. almost burnt) remove them and set them aside to add back to the dish later. At 40 minutes (or when all the pieces have browned) remove from the oven.
- Eat the apple granola warm, but serve with ice cold coconut milk – divine!