You can make a whole batch of these and freeze them for those days you cant be ar**d to cook. Great for party food as well. Just cook these up and serve with a dipping sauce. I personally like them dipped in Tahini sauce. (You can find the Tahini Sauce recipe here.) For dinner, great to serve with our tomato & olive sauce, find it here
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 40m
- Total Time: 50m
- 1 Onion, diced - κρεμμύδι, ψιλοκομμένο
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced - σκελίδες σκόρδο, τριμμένες
- 2 Large Aubergines, cubed - μελιντζάνες, κομμένο σε κυβάκια
- 1 tsp. + 1 tbsp. (divided) Pomegranate Molasses or Plain Molasses - 1κγ & 1κσ μελάσα ή Απλό μελάσα
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil - κσ. ελαιόλαδο
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice - Φρέσκο χυμό λεμονιού
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Zest - Ξύσμα λεμονιού
- 1/4 c Tahini (sesame paste) - ταχίνι
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt - Θαλασσινό αλάτι
- 3/4 c Breadcrumbs - Τριμμένη φρυγανιά
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- In a frying pan add the olive oil and allow to warm on medium heat.
- Add in your diced onions and sautee until they start to turn a golden brown.
- Add in garlic and the 1 tsp. of pomegranate molasses. Mix well so everything is combined and allow to caramelize.
- Once the onion and garlic has caramelized add in your aubergines and salt and stir well. Cover and allow to cook for about 5 minutes until nicely browned. Do not allow the aubergines to get too soft!
- Once done, add the aubergine mix, tahini, 1 tbsp. pomegranate molasses, lemon juice and lemon zest to a food processor. Pulse a couple of times. Do not blend too much or it will turn into a sauce. You just want it to be mashed a little.
- Place the mixture in a bowl and gradually add the breadcrumbs. The exact amount needed may vary every time but you are looking for a somewhat sticky consistency that can be rolled into balls.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and with a tablespoon start to make the balls. Once done place them on the lined baking tray and cook for around 40 minutes, turning them over half way through. Remove from heat when they are nice and golden brown.