If you’re going for aesthetics, like i did in the photo, cut a small orthogonal shape out of the tofu half way up each slice to give the “authentic” halloumi look!
Serving suggestions: Stuff inside a pitta with fresh tomato and cucumber (ma fave), place on top of your veggie burger, have as part of a platter with olives and sundried tomatoes or serve on top of a spinach salad – so many options !
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 5m
- Yield: 4 big pieces or 6 small
- 5 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. of dried or chopped fresh mint *
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 250gr block extra-firm Tofu (GMO-free & Organic preferrably)
- To serve: fresh mint sprigs
* I find a mixture of both dried and fresh is the tastiest!
- Drain & Press tofu: Wrap tofu in a kitchen cloth, place in between two cutting boards, and place something heavy on the top cutting board. This presses down the tofu and squeezes out liquid (I usually place my heaviest pan over it!). Leave for a minim. of 20 minutes, replacing the kitchen towel with a new dry one half way through.
- Mix all your ingredients together in a shallow bowl (apart from the Tofu). Add 3 tbsp of warm water (it should be quite thick, like a paste)
- When time is up, slice your Tofu lengthwise into Halloumi-slices, about 2cm thickness (I made 4 slices out of 1 block because i like my halloums thick!).
- Now, Dab both sides of each slice with kitchen paper once more to ensure more moisture leaves the tofu. The drier you get your tofu, the "squidgier" your halloumi will be. Optional: Pierce each slice with a fork three times (allows more marinade to enter the tofu)
- With a cooking brush (or your fingers) brush the marinade on both sides of each halloumi slice (see photo above). Pour any remaining marinade on the Tofu. Allow this to sit for a minimum of 15 minutes (the longer you leave it to marinade, the more the taste! I left it for 25 mins)
- While waiting for Tofu to marinade, heat your griddle pan to medium/high. Make sure its hot before you put the tofu on to guarantee the griddle marks!
- Place halloumi slices on griddle pan for about 2 minutes on each side without moving the slices. When the "halloumi" turns golden and crispy on the edges, its ready
- Serve with fresh mint and a drizzle of olive oil!