This dish is one of those dishes that i look at and think.. “To all you people who think we just eat lettuce leaves.. could you BE more wrong”. Succulent and full of flavour, simply by making few ingredients shine. Easy to make, its in one-dish and looks quite impressive – basically perfect for feeding a family and actually, really good for a dinner party as it looks pretty impressive too! Fill with spinach and my home-made Ricotta recipe for an alternative filling
- Total Time: 1h
- Serves: 4 people
- Category: Dinner
- 9 (or 320gr) medium sized mushrooms, cut in half - 9 μανιτάρια, κομμένα στη μέση
- 1 small onion, cut in quarters - κρεμμύδι σε τέταρτα
- 1 large garlic clove, minced - σκελίδα σκόρδο
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill - 2κσ. άνιθο
- 1 carrot (OR courgette) - καρότο (ή κολοκύθι)
- 1 tsp. nutmeg - 1κγ. μοσχοκάρυδο
- 3/4 tsp. paprika - 0.75κγ. πάπρικα
- 40 g (or 3tbsp) walnuts, roughly chopped - 40γρ καρύδια, κομμένα
- 100 g spinach, roughly chopped - 100γρ σπανάχι, κομμένο
- 500 g ready made jar of Tomato & Basil Sauce - έτοιμη κονσέρβα σάλτσα ντομάτας & βασιλικό
- 12 -14 no-pre-cook-needed cannelonis - κανελόνια
- generous salt and pepper
- grated vegan cheese
- In a food processor put the mushrooms, onion, garlic, dill, paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Blitz for about 30seconds till it starts to resemble 'mince meat'
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Put a relatively large pan on medium heat. When hot add in your walnuts. Toast them for 4-5 minutes until they're fragnant. When done, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan while still on a medium heat, add 1.5tbsp olive oil. When hot add in the mushroom mix. At this point, grate your carrot (or courgette). When it's grated, add it to the pan. (If you're using courgette, drain it a few times with kitchen paper before adding it). Stir everything thoroughly and add salt & pepper. Alot of water will be released from the mushrooms.
- Fry for another 10-15 minutes, or until there is very little liquid left. When there is very little liquid left add in the spinach and stir until it has reduced by half in size.
- Now add in your walnuts and 5tbsp of sauce from the jar. Turn off the heat.
- Grease the bottom of a pyrex with a little olive oil and spread 4tbsp of the jarred sauce on the bottom. Now fill your cannelonis generously with the mushroom mix (The easiest way is to use a teaspoon, holding the canneloni upright in your palm, pushing the filling down the canneloni till the mix touches your palm).
- Put 5tbsp water into your tomato jar & mix. Spread this over the top of the canneloni. Top with grated vegan cheese and bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes (For the first 10 minutes, i would advise you cover the pyrex with silver foil so they dont dry out)
- Top with nutritional yeast and more tomato sauce when serving (optional)