Personally, at Step 4 i separate my mix in two and put cacao in one to make a batch of choco-rice pudding and then i leave the other as it is for a classic version. Have as breakfast with fruit and nuts or as a simple dessert!
- 250 g glazed short grain / risotto rice - ρύζι γλασσέ
- 600 ml water - νερό
- 600 ml soy or plant-based milk - γάλα σόγιας ή φυτικό γάλα
- 160 g white sugar (or sub with 6tbsp powdered stevia OR 6-7tbsp agave or date syrup) / 160γρ άσπρη ζάχαρη (ή 6-7κ.σ. σιρόπι αγαύης)
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom - 1κ.γ. αλεσμένο κάρδαμο
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract / βανίλια
- 2 sticks cinnamon / ξυλάκια κανέλας
- ground cinnamon / αλεσμένη κανέλα
- 3/4 tbsp. corn flour - 3/4κ.σ. κόρν φλάουερ
- 3 -4 tbsp raw cacao (OPTIONAL) see instruction no.4) - 4κ.σ. ακατέργαστη κακάο (προαιρετικό, δες οδηγία 4)
- slivered almonds ; cacao nibs ; berries ; banana ; dessicated coconut ; chopped pistachios
- Add everything to a pot, except from corn flour & cocoa (if using). Add a pinch of salt and Put over medium to high heat.
- After 10 minutes, remove 7tbsp of milk from the pan, and in a separate cup, mix that milk with the corn flour. Now add this back into the pan. Stir well and allow to come to the boil
- Once it starts to boil, lower heat to a medium/low so that its on a simmer. Allow to simmer for 30minutes, making sure you stir at least once every 5 minutes (Its important you stir frequently)
- When time is up, remove from the heat and allow it to sit with a lid for 5-10 minutes. Add another tsp. ground cinnamon and mix through. (Add cocoa here if you want a chocolate version!) Serve warm in individual bowls or leave set in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Serve with any desired toppings! Traditionally it is sprinkled with generous amounts of cinnamon only